Grow It 3

Romans 10:11-15

My friend, Bill, stopped by our house one evening on his way to a gaming group he was involved in. “Why don’t you come with me?” he asked. I had never done it before. I didn’t know what I was doing. What if the others didn’t like me?

He said it would be fine and that I would enjoy it. He was right. I had a great time getting together with all those other guys, such a great time that I went back every week for years. The group eventually dissolved but I still have an interest and a passion for the war-gaming that I got involved in more than 25 years ago.

How would I have ever known that such groups existed? How would I have ever learned all that I did with those other men? I wouldn’t have if Bill had not suggested that I come be a part of it.

Our faith and our relationship with Jesus Christ are more essential and more powerful than a group of gamers. And Paul, writing to the believers in Rome, points out what we as believers are to do. What assurance does he offer? How does he address different faith backgrounds? What logical explanation does he provide for the need to share our faith?

We have examined this passage before. It has a simple progression of logic. For someone to know about God, to believe in God and be saved by the grace of Jesus, we must first send people out into the world and tell others about God. Once they have heard, these un-churched, un-saved people have the opportunity to believe and then call on God. It starts with someone who is willing to go “out” – out from the safety of the church walls, out from the comfort of the home, out into the world.

And those who are willing to step out and share, those who are willing to tell their own story and invite others to come be a part of this wonderful kingdom of God will be blessed. “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Yet, we are afraid. We continue to be silent when given opportunities to invite others in. The story of Jesus is a story we keep locked inside of us. We fear that we will be rejected or made to look like a fool.


But the Bible promises – “Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”

How can we continue to fear when we have received such a promise from God? If we are willing to be open in social settings, to share our hospitality in common things, why can’t we share our faith?

DAILY CHALLENGE: Who do you know who needs to call on the Lord? When will you tell them about Jesus?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.