In Everything 4

Philippians 4:18-19

As the days get shorter and cooler I begin to think of the coming winter. When I hear Christmas music (Yes, they’re playing it already in stores!) I think of the various Christmas music CDs we own and I can see the snowy fields pictured on the covers. And I found myself not looking forward to winter at all. But, like Paul, I have some hope.

As Paul is concluding his letter to the church at Philippi he begins to speak specifically about support the church has given him (see Philippians 4:10). Logic tells us this is a financial gift from the church to help this traveling evangelist do God’s work (look also at Philippians 4:14-17). How does Paul feel about the gifts? Who obviously brought them to him? How does Paul describe these gifts? How will God respond?

Two things strike me in this passage. The first is that Paul is “amply supplied.” The words make me think of myself as the coming winter approaches. I have come to dislike the cold of winter, and I realized it was because I do not want to go outside in the cold. It’s uncomfortable.

But I also realized that I don’t have to dread the winter as I am amply supplied. We have all the comforts we need to make it through to spring. We have ample food. We have ample warm clothes. We have ample things to occupy our time indoors.

The second thing that strikes me is that the gifts Paul received were described as fragrant offerings to God. These gifts were expressions of thankfulness and love. These ample supplies were like pleasant scents to both Paul and God.

We all must be mindful of the fact that God gives us ample supplies. He gives us what we need to make it through good times and bad, through challenges and ordinary days. In response we should offer thanks to God.

The Philippians offered support to Paul out of gratitude, both to him and to God. These expressions of gratitude gave God’s kingdom what it needed to move forward. These thank offerings were fragrant offerings, acceptable sacrifices and pleasing to God.

When we thank God for what He has done our thanks are gifts, offerings to God. Whether it is through financial gifts to ministries or words of thanks to God, we all need to offer ample gratitude to God – fragrant offerings of appreciation.

DAILY CHALLENGE: What form can your fragrant offerings take?

No comments: