Eirene 4

Philippians 4:6-7

Many years ago we encountered some financial and career struggles – job loss, debts, tight budget. The problems brought sleepless nights and hours of wringing our hands. Eventually things turned around and improved, but what sticks with me is the memory of the fear I had in that difficult time.

We have already looked at the verse just prior to this passage. The church at Philippi is experiencing some conflict, but Paul encourages them to rejoice. What attitude should they have? How should they present their requests to God? How is God’s peace described? What will it do?

We know that there was conflict in the church at Philippi – large or small, we do not know. Regardless of the size of the conflict, Paul encourages a Godly attitude in the approach of the faithful.

They should not be anxious about anything. They should have no fears or worries. Instead, they should trust that God will be with them and answer their prayers. But these prayers should be offered with thanksgiving, with the gratitude that comes in knowing that God is with us in all things.

When the faithful have achieved that type of confidence, of trust and thanksgiving for God’s presence, then they will achieve peace in their hearts. Once they have achieved peace in their hearts, they can address all disputes and disagreements with a peaceful attitude. Then that inner peace will flow to the outward relationships.

Over the years I have grown in my faith and learned to trust completely in the Lord. There are times when the future is uncertain. There are times when challenges present themselves. But I no longer have the fear that I once had.

The reason my fear is gone has nothing to do with my finances, my family, my age, or any other tangible thing. I have peace in my heart because I know I can trust and rely in the Lord.

The inner peace I have from God flows out in my life and helps bring peace in all things.

DAILY CHALLENGE: Find the one thing that brings you the most anxiety and offer the situation to the Lord in prayer.

No comments: