Mission 2


1 Corinthians 4:1-2

Out of town with my wife’s work the other week, we went to a restaurant for dinner. After waiting too long for our food to be brought to the table, I was ready to ask about it when the waitress apologized and explained that our order had been forgotten. The manager assured us that it would be taken care of immediately. Nearly half an hour later, and after going to see where our food was, our dinners finally came.

I was not happy. I felt that neither the waitress nor the manager was doing a good job.

In today’s reading Paul is talking about the job we are supposed to do. How should people see us? What is required of us?

As a pastor most people expect me to be nothing but compassionate with other people. I try very hard to be patient and understanding, but I have high standards and high expectations of others. One of my biggest complaints is when a person does not do the job they are supposed to do.

Whatever employment you have you should do it to the best of your ability. I expect a mechanic to know how to fix a car. I expect a waitress to know how to bring me food. I expect a pastor to be able to preach.

In this letter to the church at Corinth Paul is pointing out what is expected of those who are believers in Christ. People should see us as servants of Christ. We are the ones entrusted with the secret things of God.

Now, this expression can cause debate. What is a secret thing of God? Is it a mysterious rite or code that only Christians know?

I don’t think so. I see “the secret things of God” to be the understanding that what appears illogical or unreal is actually true. We know that Jesus died, was buried, and rose from the dead. That defies logic, yet we know it to be true. The “secret” is that Christ died for our sins and saved us from death and hell. That is not something the average person would know.

I think a secret of God is that we love those who are hard to be loved. That defies logic. That is hard to comprehend.

As believers in Christ we are to exhibit these secrets in what we do. We are to know about the death and resurrection of Jesus, the saving power of his blood, and the apparent illogic of agape love. Becoming a child of God, which one might assume would make us superior people who should be treated as kings, really makes us servants to others.

And it is required of us that we are faithful in this trust. In other words, we are to do the job of a Christian.

DAILY CHALLENGE: What do you see as the job of a Christian?

No comments: