Youth Week 2


James 3:13

When I first began the ministry years ago, each Sunday someone placed a glass of ice-water on the pulpit. I never saw who did it and no one ever came forward to accept thanks or praise. Even when I tried to watch for the person, something would come up that distracted me and when I went up into the pulpit the glass was there.

A simple glass of cold water can easily be overlooked or dismissed as unimportant, but I soon discovered I needed that water when I spoke. I counted it as a wonderful help to me.

It’s also important to remember that I never asked for the water and there were times when I didn’t drink any of it. Still, every week there was a glass of water in case I did need it.

Why all the fuss about a glass of water? Because it seems to fit with today’s passage. Who is wise among you? Let him show it by good deeds done in humility.

Wisdom is more than intelligence. Wisdom involves an understanding, intuitiveness, a comprehension of life. The truly wise person will understand the needs of others. The truly wise person will understand that good deeds are necessary to help others in Christian love.

And when the wise person sees a need, the wise person will do good deeds, but those deeds will be done in humility. The deeds will not be done to earn acclaim and praise – they will be done simply to help those in need.

Whoever delivered the weekly glass of water was wise enough to understand such a gift was helpful – not every time, but often enough that the water was there week after week. Whoever delivered the water acted in humility, a humility (I am certain) which came through wisdom. Whoever brought the water did so to help another person and not to earn thanks.

In their Summer of Service experience the youth in our church learned to serve others in the humility of wisdom. The work they did was not done to garner praise, but was done to help those in need. And much of the work was labor most people would not do even if they were paid.

Our youth experienced service done in humility. And now they will share this Christian attitude and experience with others. Hearing their stories, or simply knowing that these young people have lived out the Christian calling, should cause each of us to examine our own deeds and attitudes.

DAILY CHALLENGE: Is there a kind deed that you can do in the humility of wisdom?

No comments: