Joyful in Hope 3


2 Thessalonians 2:15-17

An early memory of mine is from a day in grade school where the whole class was working on a sheet of math problems. One after another students asked the teacher about fractions in the answers. I had completed most of my paper and didn’t have a single fraction in my answers, so I began to worry. I reviewed all my answers and pressed on, completing the assignment. Still no fractions.

After a second review, convinced I was correct, I told the teacher that I had not come up with any fractions in my answers. “None of the answers are supposed to have fractions,” she said.

Fortunately for me I was convinced I was right and held on to what I believed. That same attitude needs to be applied to our faith.

In this letter to the Thessalonians what encouragement is offered in verse 15? What is offered in verse 17?

It can be very disheartening to watch the news reports on television or to open the daily paper. Story after story tells of the problems with our current economy, failing lending institutions and falling stock values. It is easy to get caught up in the despair that many people feel.

If we are going to maintain a positive outlook on life and continue believing that God is watching over us and can provide for our needs, then we are likely to go against popular belief. It can be difficult to keep the faith when so many problems surround us.

It is unlikely that our economy is going to rebound over night. The return to financial and economic stability will, no doubt, require time and work. And it is very possible that we will never return to exactly where we were. The economic landscape may become something completely different.

But this time of uncertainty is no time to abandon our faith or belief in God and His mercy. Rather, this is the time for us to renew our strength in our faith and to draw even nearer to God. Just as the church in Thessalonica was urged to stand firm, so we should take courage and stand firm in the shifting tides of our times.

We can take courage that the blessing for Thessalonica can also apply to us. Jesus Christ and God, the Father, can give us eternal encouragement and good hope. With the blessings and grace of God even in uncertain times, we can continue in good deeds and good words.

DAILY CHALLENGE: What can help you stand firm in your faith?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think, that you commit an error. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

Anonymous said...

This very valuable opinion