Mediator 4


Isaiah 66:2

I spent seven years teaching in public schools and I can tell you that it is true that teachers learn the names of troublesome students much sooner than those of the quieter, more obedient students. It is usually not a good sign when a teacher knows your name early in the school year. I tried to be fair and even-handed in my discipline and in my treatment of students, but I must confess I preferred those students who were not a problem in the class. They were the ones who earned my favor and received lenient treatment.

The Book of Isaiah has many messages from God for His people. Today’s passage is a brief comment from the Almighty. What reminder does God give in His rhetorical question? What type of person does God prefer?

In my own times of frustration and aggravation I have raised my voice to God. I have complained when things did not go my way and I was quick to remind the Lord how obedient and good I have been. But the fact is that all my goodness is nothing in the eyes of God.

Whenever we approach our Lord, in times of communion, in times of prayer, in times of worship, we must remind ourselves of how great and vast God is. He has created all things and holds sway over all the earth.

If we desire to make that connection with God, if we desire forgiveness, if we desire to enter into a strong, spiritual relationship with God, we must approach God in humility. We need to have a contrite heart – humble and seeking forgiveness.

And as we approach God we must remember that it is Jesus Christ who makes it possible for us to be in the presence of the Almighty. It is through the atoning sacrifice – the removal of our sins through the crucifixion – that we may be blessed by God.

The celebration of Holy Communion is a time to remember that Jesus acts as our mediator, opening the door for us to receive God’s love and mercy. It is through Christ that we can be forgiven and receive grace from God. It is important that we come to the Lord not with boasting or arrogance, but with a contrite spirit, humbly acknowledging all the blessings of our heavenly Father.

DAILY CHALLENGE: How can you remind yourself daily to be humble before God?

No comments: