Money Contentment 4


2 Corinthians 9:7

I recall one Christmas when I was a teenager my cousin, whom I rarely saw over the course of the year, gave me a gift. I was surprised, and at first felt bad because I had not gotten him anything. But he explained that he just wanted to give a gift and I should accept it. After all of this time I don’t remember what the gift was, but I do remember how happy I was to receive and how happy he was to give.

Today’s passage is a single verse, but one with great weight. Who decides what we give? What should our attitude be?

I find it interesting that any mention of giving and tithing in the Bible does not deal with specific amounts. There is no set monetary amount on our gifts. The tithe is a percentage. As a percentage it fluctuates based on what we have.

Our gifts and offerings, beyond the tithe, are supposed to be an amount that we determine on our own. The amount is not important. The attitude is.

We are not to give with a feeling of obligation. We should not give because we feel guilty or that we are in debt. We are to give with a glad heart. We are to give out of gratitude and celebration for what God has given us.

And if we can be content with what we have, if we can find peace no matter whether we have an abundance or very little, then giving can be something we do willingly and with a cheerful heart.

God does not appreciate large amounts of money over small amounts. What God values is the gift given willingly and gladly. God loves a cheerful giver, a giver who gives from a sense of contentment with what is possessed.

We should give with a glad and adoring heart, even if we feel what we give is too little.

DAILY CHALLENGE: What is your attitude when you give to God?

No comments: