Fellowship 5

2 Corinthians 9:6-7

I have never really cared for gift exchanges at work. I don’t like having to buy a present for someone I don’t know that well, especially a gift that is usually at a dollar value set fairly low. What can you get someone for $5 now days?

I don’t want to sound ungrateful, but I also don’t like getting gifts from co-workers in these gift exchanges. After all, they are simply giving a gift under the dollar limit, a present to a stranger, a gift that is pretty much impersonal and pointless. “I got everyone a coffee mug!”

Our gifts need to come from our heart. Our presents need to be offered with love. What we give God should be presented with a willing heart and true desire to honor Him.

Still addressing the church in Corinth, Paul has more to say about giving. What does he say about sowing and reaping? What is God’s attitude?

We have learned to trust in God and rely completely on Him. It is my desire to tithe to God. Therefore, my family and I contribute 10 percent to the church every pay period, and often exceed this amount through incidental offerings throughout the weeks. I have decided in my heart this is what needs to be given, and I give it willingly and not under compulsion.

Others do not feel they can spare 10 percent. Because of uncertain incomes presenting a tithe is not always practical to many people. Is that okay?

In many ways, yes, it is okay to give to God whatever you choose. Others may insist that anything less than a tithe is a sin, but this passage deals less with amounts and more with attitudes (My whole theology and faith centers more on attitude than anything else).

It is up to each of us how much we give to God. Our offerings to God should not be like those given at office gift exchanges. Our offerings to God should be given with a cheerful heart. If we choose to give sparingly, to sow sparingly, to do only a little for God, then we will reap sparingly. Our blessings will be small.

When we give in faith and we give generously – and also with a heart and attitude of devotion and love – we will be reap abundantly. The windows of heaven will be opened to cover us in blessings.

DAILY CHALLENGE: Be honest – what is your attitude in giving? Are you faithful enough to take a risk and give more?

No comments: