Love 3


Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

There are times when the noise and confusion of life get to be too much, or the demands of being a husband and father put stress on me. Then I want to be alone, to have some time to myself. And there are times when I am left alone, but I have found that times alone are really not all that great. The biggest benefit is total control of the TV remote, but then there isn’t anything worth watching.

Even though we all need our time alone now and then, being with one you love is so much better in my opinion. The writer of Ecclesiastes seems to agree.

What are the many benefits of two people together? What is the final comment in verse 12? Why have we suddenly switched from two to three?

Ecclesiastes supports the concept of a love relationship, and this passage is another of those which is frequently read at weddings. Although I value my own time, I truly appreciate the time that I spend with those I love. Even with the noise and pressure of relationships, the benefits of being with a loved one far outweighs the solitude of “alone time.”

The benefits are many. Two people can accomplish more than one. There is safety in numbers; if one falls, the other can help.

Two people can help to keep each other warm in cold weather. And two people are more capable of defending themselves.

All of these examples support the idea of two people being together. Then suddenly the writer mentions a cord of three strands. All along the writer was talking about two, and now a third has been added.

I believe the concept is to bring God into this relationship. A relationship of two people, two people in love with one another, two people who care about one another, is a good thing. There are many benefits. And these benefits are multiplied when you bring God into the picture.

God should be that third strand in your love relationships. God’s presence adds strength and quality to an already good relationship of two people.

DAILY CHALLENGE: How can you be certain to have a third strand in your relationship?

No comments: