Patient in Faith 3


Romans 12:11-12

In college I contracted mononucleosis, a debilitating illness that weakens the body so much that simply walking across a room can exhaust you. The remedy was to take medications, but also to rest. This was difficult to do because after several hours of lying in bed I felt that I had regained my strength. But when I tried to do anything I was worn out after the smallest activity.

I quickly learned that I had to be patient in my affliction. The best thing to do was to be sick, allowing my body to work through the illness until I improved.

In his letter to the church in Rome Paul has advice on faith. What are we to keep? What should be our attitude? What should we do?

It can be so difficult to maintain our faith sometimes. We are faced with temptations and challenges in life, and we may join in with the disciples who asked Jesus to increase their faith (Luke 17:5). But faith is not always something that comes in full force and in an instant.

We must learn to be patient in our faith. That patience may involve waiting through the difficult situations trusting that God will use those times to build us up. But being patient in our faith does not mean we sit by idly and watch.

Patience in faith requires attentiveness on our part and an investment of our hearts, souls and minds.

As we wait to be stronger in our faith we must work to build up that faith. We are called to have zeal – passion, eagerness – in our spiritual attitude. While we wait we must have joy in anticipation that God will be working with us and through us, and that God will resolve the issues we face.

The best way to achieve this is to be faithful in our prayers. We can pray for stronger faith. We can pray for the patience we need to wait for that time when God will finally call on us to act. We can pray to grow nearer to the Lord, to have our spirits draw closer to the Holy Spirit that we might be more Christ-like in our thoughts and actions.

DAILY CHALLENGE: How can you have zeal for God’s kingdom? How can you still have spiritual fervor even if this is a time of waiting?

No comments: