Garden Decision 3


John 20:17-18

As a parent I sometimes get frustrated with my children when they don’t do what I have asked them to do. I tell them to bring down the dirty laundry. I tell them to sweep the floor. I tell them to take out the garbage. When I see that they haven’t done what I told them to do I get aggravated.

In John’s account of the resurrection Mary Magdalene has come to the garden to visit he tomb. When she discovers it is empty she assumes someone has taken the body. Upon seeing Jesus she at first assumes he is the gardener and asks him about where the body might be.

But when he says her name she immediately recognizes him. What does Jesus tell her to do? What does she do?

Although they were in different gardens and the events were separated by a few days, both Jesus and his follower, Mary, were in a garden when they made decisions about God’s work. Christ made the decision to put his own desires aside and go through with the crucifixion. Now, Mary has received instructions from Jesus in a garden.

He has told her to go to the other disciples and tell them about the resurrection. She has been given instructions to go and do something – spread the word. Tell the good news.

Is it because Jesus can’t leave the garden? Is it because Jesus has no idea where the disciples are? Is that why Mary is supposed to go inform the disciples?

I don’t think so. I think it is simply that each of us who believes in Jesus Christ and who embraces the love of God is supposed to share our faith. We are supposed to be the hands and feet of Christ. We are supposed to go and do.

Mary is given her instructions. She now has a decision to make. She can hang around the garden with Jesus. She can ignore his instructions and keep the good news to herself. Or she can choose to obey her Lord.

DAILY CHALLENGE: What can help you make your own garden decision?

No comments: