Triumphal Entry 1


Luke 19:29-31

This past Sunday I forgot to get two cloth napkins to wrap around the loaf of bread for Communion. On my way to church I had to get out my cell phone and call home. It was a simple fix to a brief problem. I knew exactly where the napkins were and so was able to give instructions as to where they might be found.

When I realized I had forgotten the napkins I had a moment of panic, but it was quickly over because I knew where the napkins were. They just had to be gathered up. Although I had forgotten them I was prepared and what I needed was easy to get.

As Jesus entered Jerusalem he knew what was going to unfold with the crowds in the city. Who did Jesus send ahead of him? What were his instructions? What should they expect to encounter?

There is a great deal of speculation and interpretation of why Jesus took part in what has been labeled his triumphal entry. It could have been a mockery of the Roman “Triumph,” a special, stylized parade of Roman officials who enter a conquered or subdued city. It could have been a deliberate contrast to this military display, or it could have been a symbolic gesture of peace.

Regardless of why he did what he did, it seems clear that Jesus was well aware of what was happening. He was prepared for the dramatic arrival in Jerusalem. Whether it was pre-arranged or it was because Jesus is God, he knew a colt (or donkey) was waiting for him to use. He even anticipated someone asking about the situation and had a response for them.

In this encounter we have an example for ourselves. Jesus was prepared for this very important time in his ministry. He was ready for what was ahead of him.

We need to be certain we are ready for our encounter with the risen Christ. Living as Christians means we may face challenges, situations that may make us doubt our faith or question our own ability to be faithful. Having faith means living a life of trusting God and daring to do things we may not want to do for the good of God's kingdom. We need to use the time of Lent to build or faith and prepare ourselves to be the strong Christians we need to be.

DAILY CHALLENGE: How can you be certain your faith is as strong as it should be?

No comments: