We Are Invited 3


John 7:37-38

I’m a very thirsty person. I carry a bottle of water with me just about everywhere I go because I frequently need to take a drink of refreshing water to quench my thirst. I keep it nearby when I preach. I keep it with me in the car. I have it close at hand even when I am doing things around the house.

Water is one of those basic needs we have to be alive. It requires water to sustain life on earth, and human beings cannot go very long at all without water. While Jesus was attending a Jewish festival celebration he took the opportunity to use water as a teaching tool and to offer an invitation to those who would believe in him. What does he offer? What will happen to those who believe?

I must constantly refill my water bottle throughout the day. We have a Culligan tank that I use to top off the small bottle I carry. And no matter how much I drink I get thirsty again after a short while.

But Jesus makes an invitation to all who thirst. His invitation, however, has nothing to do with the water we drink throughout our day. Jesus was talking more about spiritual refreshment. If a person thirsts – desires greatly – the presence of God’s grace and mercy, then that person can come to Christ and drink. The invitation Jesus gives is the invitation to come have our souls, our spirits, refreshed and renewed by being with him.

Not only will our souls be refreshed by him, but as believers in Christ this spiritually refreshing water of God will flow inside. We will be able to be refreshed over and over again because we will be one of God’s children, people who have a refreshing faith in our Savior. And I also believe this flowing water is not just for us. The refreshing water can flow from inside of us to others who need that spiritual renewal.

We need to remember that just as I must go again and again to the water tank for more water, we can go again and again to Jesus to have our souls made new. We can also know that once we have committed ourselves to Jesus that spiritual refreshment he offers will be with us always. And that spiritual renewal can flow from us to those in need.

DAILY CHALLENGE: How can you go to Jesus to drink?

No comments: