By Many or By Few 2

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Trains at the Denver International Airport

I love going places and seeing new things, but I have to admit that I'm not very fond of the actual travel.  (I know... the journey is part of it...)   One of the worst things, in my opinion, is being in an airport alone. 

From navigating the terminals to finding the gate, from eating alone to just having no one to say "Look at that guy!" to, I really hate it.  (And we won't even mention how difficult it is to take your carryon luggage into the bathroom!)

Last year, when I went to Loveland, Colorado, my daughter went with me.  We had a blast in the Denver airport where we had about 4 hours between the time we had to return our rental car and when we could board our plane. 

We went through an alternate security checkpoint, rode the trains all over the place (some twice!), had a nice meal together and shopped.  It was so much fun.  When we boarded the plane to head home, the time had passed very quickly. 

But on other trips I had been alone.  Sitting for hours wishing I had someone to talk to.  Watching strangers hoping that I would see a familiar face.  Time does not pass quickly in those instances.  Once, I nearly missed  a plane because I had looked at my ticket wrong and was at the wrong gate!  If I had been travelling with someone else, that likely wouldn't have happened at all.  I need a travel companion.

One of the most important things God creates is a companion for Adam.  It's not good that he is alone.  (Genesis 2:18)  and it's not good that we are alone, either. 

In every aspect of our lives, we need someone to travel with us.  We need a friend who will work with us, help us, keep us entertained, safe and warm.  We need friends around us who will pick us up when we fall down.  Who will stick with us through thick or thin. 

This is never more true than friends we have who will help us in our walk with God.  Those who will challenge us and build us up.  Friendships that will keep us focused on living the way God calls us to live.

And like the fire building from yesterday, it's something that takes planning, time and work to develop those relationships.  But they are a great help as we work and live every day.

DAILY CHALLENGE:  Who is your friend who helps you like the friend in today's reading?  What can you do to develop more friendships that help you to glorify God?

No comments: