Tools - Flashlight 3


When I was first hired at an engineering firm years ago I was shown to my desk.  On the desk was a new trashcan and inside the can were a stapler, tape dispenser, pens, pencils, scissors, and notepads.  I was thrilled to find these items waiting for me.  I was starting a new job in a new place with new things.

But the collection of items on my desk were not just gifts from the company; they were tools for getting things done.  They were given to me, not to make me happy, but to equip me for what I would do.

We as believers are given new things from God.  In Paul’s letter to the believers in Rome he points out one of the basics of faith.  What did Christ do?  When did he do this?

We know in our faith that if we rely on ourselves we are unable to accomplish anything.  We need to have the love and grace of God so that we might move forward in our journey of faith and belief.  Paul has reminded all of us that God provided us with what we need to advance in our faith.

The sacrifice of Jesus was made when we powerless, when we were still immersed in our sin.  We were still far from perfect with no hope of goodness, yet Jesus in the compassion of God gave himself that we might be saved.  Through the salvation of Jesus we were each given new life.  Our faith was brought to life.

And what was the purpose of such a gift?  We can find joy in knowing that we are loved by God so much that He would send His Son to save us from sin.  But there is also a purpose in our life.

With our new life, with our salvation, we are able to do good work for God’s kingdom.  This refreshing of the soul, this washing clean of our spirit brings us new energy and new ability.  We are no longer bogged down by sinfulness and evil.  We are given new power and we are joined by the presence of Christ in our lives.

As new people blessed by the grace of God we are now pointed in the direction of sharing God’s love and grace with others.  God shines a light of hope and redemption on us and on our path.  He shows us that we should share this refreshing grace with all.

DAILY CHALLENGE:  What can remind you that you have been renewed in spirit?