Rooted 5


As part of my position as a pastor I am asked to perform funeral services for people I have never met.  On such occasions I rely on the surviving family to provide me with details and insights of the loved one that I might offer an appropriate service.  I am also quite open with the family when I tell them that I base many of my comments on how they behave.

I point out that a person’s life and influence may be difficult to sum up and remember in times of grief.  I can determine what type of person the parent was by how the children are living.

Today’s passage consists of two verses which comment on a wife and mother.  It is a celebration of all the goodness that is found in the woman being described in the 17 verses that precede them.  If a woman were to live in such a way as described in Proverbs 31:10-27 then that woman will be praised by her family and spouse.  She will be called blessed and seen as the best woman ever.

This praise comes about when a person provides a good and nurturing environment for the family.  This is what is being described in the earlier verses.  She provides food and clothing for her family.  She helps in business transactions.  She has strength and dignity.  But she also “speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.” (Proverbs 31:26)

As we celebrate mothers this weekend we must also celebrate all women and the contribution that they make in developing and guiding young people into holy living.  Whether a woman is a biological mother or not, all women (as are all men) are called to be a person who helps to provide the deep roots of faith in younger believers.  They are called to be clothed in dignity and strength.  They are called to speak with wisdom and provide faithful instruction.

Those who live a life of holy example and good spiritual instruction will be called blessed by all around them.  They will cause the young who grow up under their guidance to be a blessing to others.  They will plant the faith of others by the stream of grace that flows from God.  They will nurture deep roots of faith.

Their goodness and holy teaching will be evident to those around them.  And such goodness in faith will be lived out through those who are taught.

DAILY CHALLENGE:  What blessings can you pass on to others?  What noble things are you called to do?