Humility 4


1 Corinthians 2:1-5

The band director at our local school honored me several weeks ago with a “Band Booster of the Year” award. It was an expression of gratitude for my presence at the school this past year during the two times students died in car accidents. I truly appreciate the award, but honestly do not feel I deserve it. I was one of many area pastors who responded to the school’s needs.

I am also no expert in grief counseling. In fact, I feel hopelessly lost when it comes to offering comfort. If I am able to provide comfort I know it is entirely due to God working through me, and not any skills of my own.

In his letter to the Corinthian church Paul expresses some humility in his ability. How does he describe himself? What was his attitude? What did Paul show the church?

Sometimes churches that are successful in ministry can lose sight of the source of their ability. They can begin to think they have accomplished all of it on their own.

Many churches, on the other hand, have stopped daring and risking and moving forward. Instead they have become quite content with exactly where they are. They have done ministry and now rest on the glories of past successes.

In both cases a successful past becomes a downfall for the church. A successful past and praise for good work becomes a stumbling block, or an obstacle that cannot be overcome.

All of us need to take on the attitude that Paul has assumed in this passage. We must go out into the world knowing only Jesus Christ and the message of salvation. We must go out into the world with no pride in past successes and no fear from past failures. Instead, we must equip ourselves completely with the faith and knowledge that we may be an instrument in the hands of a powerful God. Then, any successes we may achieve are due to the Lord and not ourselves.

DAILY CHALLENGE: How can you or your church demonstrate the power of God this year?

No comments: