Accept One Another 3


Romans 15:5-7

Many years ago I was responsible for the church’s Christmas dinner. I knew it would take some time to set everything up – tables, silverware, napkins for about 150 people – but I had two helpers with me. To have sufficient room for everyone the settings needed to be placed a certain way and the tables needed to be angled.

I worked the length of one side, then up the middle of the room, and down the other side. When I came to the end I saw that I had missed several places and went back to fix them. Then I saw more places that were not the way they should have been. That was when I realized my helpers were undoing what I had done.

To get the job done we had to all do the same work, not work against one another. Such an attitude is needed in our faith as well. Just as it would have been impossible to make the dinner preparations right with all of us working at odds to one another, it is difficult to honor the Lord and do God’s will when we are all working against one another in our faith.

Again we look to Paul’s letter to the Romans. What does he pray for? What is the result of unity in heart and mouth? How can we achieve that unity?

If we are all Christians under one Lord, then we need to accept one another as Christians under our one Lord. God is able to give us a sense of encouragement in what we do. He is able to give us the endurance we need to work against the hardships and challenges of life and temptation.

We need to realize that God is also able to give us a spirit of unity too. But that spirit of unity can be hindered and dampened if we cannot learn to accept one another. And that acceptance begins within us.

Christ can be glorified and praised if we can all learn to work together in our journey of faith. But to achieve this unity we must refrain from judgment and adopt an attitude of humility and peace.

DAILY CHALLENGE: Where does your family of faith need unity? What can you do to help achieve that?

No comments: