Be Welcoming 4


Titus 1:7-8

Although a pastor I am still a human being and am often tempted to behave just as most others might behave. If I am in a hurry I get frustrated with those who are in my way and become an obstacle. If I get cut off in traffic I am tempted to respond in anger and call out a few inappropriate words.

But I am fortunate enough to have a sticker in the rear window of my car that reminds everyone that I am a member of the clergy. As I drive I can see the small sticker proclaiming “clergy” in my mirror, and it reminds me that I must behave in a disciplined and holy way.

This letter to Titus provides guidance for church leaders. What attributes should an overseer NOT have? What are the requirements of an overseer?

From the very beginning of the church the faithful have been concerned about presenting a right and appropriate behavior to those who are new to the faith. This behavior is not a façade or false front, concealing the true actions of a person. Rather, these attributes should be a true part of who that person is. Those in the faith are warned not to be dishonest, prone to drunkenness or quick-tempered.

Instead the faithful followers of Jesus should genuinely be those who love good. Believers should be holy in their actions and attitude, and part of that holiness is to be hospitable to the outsider.

Some will say that these restrictions and guides are for officers in the church – the pastor, the board of deacons, the elders, or the lay leaders. But in fact these requirements apply to us all.

We are all leaders in the church. We are all overseers in our own congregations. We are each responsible for living an honest and upright life, loving what is good, being self-controlled, holy and disciplined. And we should all be hospitable.

It is up to each of us as members of Christ’s body – the church – to be hospitable and welcoming to those who will come to visit our places of worship. We must be welcoming and warm, encouraging to those who are new to the faith.

DAILY CHALLENGE: What can remind you to be hospitable?

No comments: