Remember 5

Romans 2:6-7

At Bible study the other night I told about the differences between me and my brother. My brother didn’t like to tell my parents where he was going and what he was doing. In response my parents were very strict with him.

In contrast I was fairly open about where I was going and who I would be with. In response my parents were very lenient and forgiving with my curfew and what I was permitted to do. We both got what we gave. If we were good we received good.

In the same way our faith life can receive good or bad from God depending on what we invest in it. What does Paul claim God will give to us? What is the reward for those who persist at doing Godly things?

It can be a very difficult thing to think of all those we have known who have passed on from this life to the next. Often the question arises about where that loved one will spend eternity. Will they receive the gift of glory and everlasting life? Were they good and holy examples of what it means to live as a Christian?

So many of the people we have known over the years, those who are no longer with us, have had an influence in our lives. So many have been an example that we could follow, an example of kindness and caring. We can take comfort in trusting that each one we have known who was a good example of holy living has received the glory that God has promised. Those who stood out as shining examples of Christ’s love and mercy most certainly have received the blessings of God’s grace. And all those saints who have gone on before were examples to us, showing us how we should live out our faith.

As we take comfort in the assurance of the eternal rewards that have been given to those we know, let us examine ourselves and our own attitudes and actions in faith. If we will be people who live out the teachings of Jesus, if we will show mercy, if we can be that example of holy striving and righteous living then we certainly can trust in the glory that awaits us. God will give to us according to what we have done.

DAILY CHALLENGE: What can you do to seek glory, honor and immortality?

No comments: