Communion 4

Acts 5:17-20

When I was in college I stopped attending church because I was so disillusioned by the behavior of so many “Christians.” But when I shared my frustration with my uncle he told me, “Don’t let anyone else keep you out of God’s house.”

That comment really turned me around. I give my uncle the credit for starting a new life of faith that has resulted with my being in the ministry today.

The early church was not without its setbacks and problems. In Acts 5 Peter and other apostles have been preaching and healing many people out in the streets and in the Temple. How do the religious leaders react? What happens to those who are jailed? What command does the angel give?

The high priest and his associates were so upset with Peter and the others that they were jailed so they could be silenced. These leaders were trying to stop the ministry going on. But God intervened by sending an angel to set them free from prison.

And with that freedom came a command to keep doing what they had been doing. Their work was not yet completed.

As we work through our own spiritual growth and tend to our own faith journey we will encounter obstacles and road blocks. Some may be so big that they will keep us from living out our faith the way we should.

But we must remember Jesus’ instructions to the disciples at the feeding of the 5,000. “You give them something to eat.” It is up to us to help build the kingdom of God. It is up to us, in communion with the risen Christ, to be about saving souls and spreading the good news.

No matter what may come our way, no matter what setbacks we might encounter, no matter what negative thoughts and words may come at us from those around us, we need to be about feeding the hungry souls of the lost. We need to be part of Christ’s ministry. We need to tell the people the full message of this new life.

DAILY CHALLENGE: How can you overcome your obstacles and preach about the new life in Christ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great reminder. I needed that this morning. Love your uncle's wisdom, too.