Love God 4

Matthew 15:25-28

When I applied for a position as a corporate trainer I felt very confident about the opportunity. I knew I would make a great trainer. But the manager who interviewed me disagreed and told me she did not intend to hire me.

After a moment of disappointment my wife told me to call her back and convince her that I was the person for the job. I called back, politely explained that I was truly qualified for the position, and challenged her to give me a chance to demonstrate my skills.

I got the job.

Continuing with the story of the Canaanite woman, we have seen that her daughter is suffering from demon possession. But Jesus has ignored her calls for help. What does the woman do in verse 25? How does Jesus respond? What ultimately causes Jesus to give the healing requested?

Jesus healed the woman’s daughter because she exhibited great faith. She was persistent in her pursuit of a response from Jesus. She did not give up easily, but pushed forward until she achieved what she desired.

We may find ourselves in a desperate situation. We need help. We need God’s blessings and guidance and strength.

We may turn to the Lord for help, but then we may feel that we have been ignored because God has not responded immediately. We need to have the perseverance of our faith, the ability to accept where we are and press forward to see the changes we want to have happen. We must be willing to be like the Canaanite woman and dare to press God for His presence in our lives.

Perseverance goes beyond waiting. Perseverance implies action on our part. When we see what needs to change – in ourselves, in our world, in our faith – perseverance calls us to make those changes. It may happen quickly. It may take years. But the faithful believer who has perseverance will constantly work toward improving God’s kingdom.

We also need perseverance with ourselves. We must constantly and patiently move on in our faith to become better Christians.

DAILY CHALLENGE: What needs to be better about your faith?

No comments: